SWARNABHOOMI ACADEMY OF MUSIC COMMENCES ADMISSION FOR DIPLOMA PROGRAM IN MUSIC EDUCATION
o First fully-residential 6-month Diploma program starting July 26, 2010
o World-class faculty to offer instructions through Private Lessons, Performance Labs, Ensembles, Ear Training and Class Lectures
Chennai, April 06, 2010: Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music, India's first professional music college for contemporary Jazz, Rock and World Music being established in a 4-acre campus at MARG Swarnabhoomi, by MARG Limited, India's leading diversified infrastructure development company, in partnership with world renowned guitarist and composer Prasanna, has announced the commencement of admission process for Diploma Program in Music Education for the year 2010. The first fully-residential 6-month Diploma program commencing on July 26, 2010 will offer students an all encompassing music education that will prepare them the right skill set to adapt and perform in a variety of musical situations both live and in the recording studio.
The program will feature world class faculty such as guitarists Prasanna (India), Rubens De La Corte (Brazil), Ed Degenaro (Germany) and Andro Biswane (Netherlands), bassists Steve Jenkins (USA) and Steve Zerlin (USA), drummers David Anderson (USA), Jovol Bell (USA), Atma Anur (Poland) and Harvey Wirht (Suriname), vocalists Natalie John (USA) and Sarah Jerrom (Canada), pianists Manu Koch (Switzerland) and Vardan Ovsepian (Armenia), Ghatam player Dr. S Karthick (India) and additional faculty for Carnatic voice and other Indian percussion.
The various modes of instruction for students of the program include Private Lessons, Performance Labs, Ensembles, Ear Training and Class Lectures –
- Private Lessons – One-on-one lessons with the faculty on the students choice of instrument, customized to enhance their specific musicality aspects in which they want to improve
- Performance Labs - Performance labs will focus on offering specific music skills for each group of instruments. These labs will cover a broad cross-section of music performance courses, techniques and methods. A few examples of such lab courses can be raga concepts for guitar, odd meter skills for drums, improvisation techniques for singers, soloing over chord changes for pianists, carnatic tala calculation techniques for percussionists, ostinatos and pedal point applications for bassists, etc
- Ensembles - Students will form ensembles (bands) with fellow students and will be coached by the faculty on all aspects of ensemble playing. Ensembles will be of varying instrumentation. For example, Ensemble 1 could be 2 guitars, bass and drums, Ensemble 2 could be 3 vocals, 1 piano, 1 drums and1 ghatam, and so on. Examples of ensembles could be 'the music of metallica ensemble', 'hip hop raga ensemble', 'Jayant kulkarni meets The lonius monk ensemble', etc
- Ear training - Various approaches and methodologies for effective ear training for students will be a part of the curriculum. Ear training sessions will cover important aspects such as development of good relative pitch, re-harmonization by ear, aural interaction skills between soloist and rhythm section, Timbral recognition for effective arranging for varied instrumentation, music transcription, etc
- Class lectures - Faculty will present class lectures on a multitude of topics. Some class lectures are mandatory for all students irrespective of their instruments, while a few will be specifically for certain focus groups of students. Class lectures can be such as 'Role of music in Indian culture', 'Latin American musical styles', 'Contemporary composition techniques in Jazz', 'From Beethoven to Jimi Hendrix – the evolution of rhythm in western music', etc
- The above instruction will be complemented with recitals, jam sessions, concerts and several other fun musical activities. The program will end on December 18, 2010, with a ten day break between October 08 to October 17 for Navratri and Faculty Rollove
Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music [SAM] is partnering with some of the world's most prestigious companies such as Hal Leonard Publishing, Mesa Boogie amplifiers, Kawai Pianos and several others to bring high quality instruction materials and state of the art musical equipment for the college.
Applicants can log on to www.sam.org.in/diploma/applicationform.php for submission of applications for the program. The last date for submitting applications is May 10, 2010, while applicants will be informed of their selection on May 20, 2010. For enquiries and details on SAM, please contact Mr Shriram Bharathan at +91-97909-64952, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music, please visit:www.sam.org.in